This Privacy Statement is to inform you how Youth Science Canada gathers and uses your personal and non-personal information when you visit our web site. Youth Science Canada reserves the right to change this Privacy Statement at any time by notifying visitors to this web site of the existence of a new Privacy Statement. Owned and operated by Youth Science Canada, youthscience.ca and other related web sites are committed to maintaining and protecting your privacy as a visitor.
Privacy and Accuracy
You acknowledge and agree that the Internet is not a secure medium, and neither the privacy of your communications, nor visits to this web site, can be ensured. The nature of Internet communications means that your communications may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and delays.
Collection of Information
We do not collect personal information about you unless you specifically and knowingly provide such information to us. This would generally happen in the case where you have registered as a member, registered to affiliate a Regional Science Fair, registered to participate in a Regional Science Fair, the Canada-Wide Science Fair or other events organized by Youth Science Canada, subscribed to our e-newsletter, or to our insurance policy extension, or to the Equalized Travel Plan administered by Youth Science Canada, or disclosed personally identifiable information in a discussion group of our web site. In these cases, your personal information may include your name, postal address, e-mail address, and descriptors of your school grade range or occupation, and level of experience with science and technology projects and fairs. Non-personal information about your visiting habits may also be automatically collected through the use of “cookies.” Cookies are computer files that are placed on your hard drive to remember any preferences that you may have when surfing the web. They can also tell us how often particular pages are visited.
Use of Information
You agree and consent that your personal and non-personal information also may be used to generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal use by Youth Science Canada and its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees, successors, assigns, suppliers, benefactors, and advertisers. These statistics and reports will contain only aggregated and no personally identifiable information. Your identity is kept strictly anonymous. You also agree that when you voluntarily disclose information in the discussion groups of our web site, your personal and other information disclosed in your communication shall become public information and can be collected and used by outside parties. Such activities are beyond the control of Youth Science Canada. Other than as indicated above, we do not sell, rent, share or otherwise make available your personal information to any outside parties. We encourage and support the efforts of parents and legal guardians of children under the age of 13 to monitor their children’s Internet usage and to caution them against providing personal information to any web site over the web without permission.
“Forum” means a chat area, message board, e-mail or any other message or communication facilities or functions offered as part of this web site. You agree that you shall not use this web site, in any manner or to any extent, to do any of the following:
- Commit any criminal or quasi-criminal offence, including without limitation, any pornography, threatening, intimidating, hate, assault, or economic crime whatsoever;
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- Publish, post, distribute or disseminate any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information;
- Infringe, contravene, breach or otherwise interfere with or harm the rights of any other person, including without limitation any contractual, personality, confidentiality, privacy or publicity, moral, statutory, common law or intellectual property;
- Upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer;
- Delete any author attributions, trademarks, trade names, logos, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded;
- Falsify the origin or source of software, information or other material contained in a file that is uploaded;
- Advertise or offer to sell any goods or services, or conduct or forward any surveys, contests, or chain letters;
- Download any file posted by another user of a Forum that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner;
- Any conduct that encourages, conspires, entices or promotes the occurrence of any of the prohibited conduct stipulated herein.
- You acknowledge and agree that all Forums are public and not private communications, and that you shall only use any Forum for non-commercial purposes.
Further, you acknowledge and agree that chats, postings, conferences, and other communications by other users are not monitored, screened, sanctioned or endorsed by Youth Science Canada, and such communications shall not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by Youth Science Canada. However, Youth Science Canada shall have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the content of this web site, including the Forums, and to remove, refuse to post or edit any material or content which Youth Science Canada, in its sole discretion, determines to be in violation of the provisions hereof or otherwise objectionable.
Subject to the foregoing, Youth Science Canada will not monitor, edit, or disclose the contents of a visitor’s e-mail unless (a) required to do so in the course of normal maintenance of this web site and its systems; (b) required to do so by reason of any law, court, governmental or other legal order or; (c) in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (i) protect and defend the rights or property of Youth Science Canada ; (ii) ensure compliance with the provisions hereof; or (ii) act in an emergency to protect the personal safety of our visitors or the public. Visitors shall remain solely responsible for the content of their messages. Youth Science Canada reserves the right for any reason to remove at any time without notice any contents of the Forum received from users, including without limitation message board postings. Youth Science Canada reserves the right to deny, in its sole and absolute discretion any user access to this web site or any portion thereof without notice.
You shall not, without Youth Science Canada’s express prior written consent, distribute, transmit or otherwise publish any material or content containing any solicitation of funds, promotion, advertising, or solicitation for goods or services. You specifically acknowledge that soliciting other online guests to join or become members of any commercial online service or other business or organization is expressly prohibited. It is our policy to respect the privacy of all guests. In this connection, please see our Privacy Statement.
By posting, uploading or submitting any material or content to any Forum or otherwise submitting any material or content to us, you automatically grant (or automatically warrant that the owner of the rights to such material or content has expressly granted) Youth Science Canada and its affiliates and subsidiaries a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license throughout the world to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, translate, license, transmit, distribute and otherwise exploit any or all portions of such material or content in any manner and media and by means of any technology now known or hereafter developed. In addition, you hereby irrevocably waive all so-called “moral rights” in any such materials and content posted, uploaded or submitted by you.